Pokémon - JELLY FILLED DONUTS
I LOVE jelly filled donuts! I love making them for friends to take on all of our adventures, because what could possibly be more nutritious, hearty, and just keep you going than a jelly filled donut? Not to mention how AMERICAN they are! And kid friendly! So everyone, make jelly filled donuts for your hiking trip which involves battling little critters and half-brained villians today!
- 1 1/2 cups All purpose flour
- 1 cup Whole-wheat pastry flour
- 2 1/4 teaspoon (or 0.25oz packet) Yeast
- 1/4 cup plus 1 teaspoon Sugar (separated)
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons Melted Margarine
- 1/2 cup Superfine Sugar
- 1/2 cup Jelly/ Jam
- Mix yeast, 1 teaspoon sugar with 1 cup of warm water in a measuring cup. Let stand for 5 minutes or until the mixture is frothy and smells yeasty.
- Whisk together flours, remaining sugar, salt, baking powder and nutmeg in a large bowl. Grease separate bowl with oil.
- Stir yeast mixture into flour mixture with a wooden spoon until sticky dough forms. Add up to 1/4 cup warm water to make smooth dough.
- Stir in the melted margarine.
- Dough is very soft and sticky at this stage. Turn it onto a well floured surface and knead for 6-8 minutes using extra flour as kneaded, until the dough is soft, smooth and pliable.
- Transfer to the oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap or towel and let rise in a warm place for 1 1/2 hours.
- Flour a baking sheet. Roll the dough into 1/4” thick round on a well-floured surface. Cut into circles using 2” round cutter and place them on the floured baking sheet. Loosely cover with plastic wrap and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Heat oil until hot but not smoking. Fry donuts in oil for 3-5 minutes, or until deep golden brown on all sides, flipping 2-3 times. Drain on paper-towel lined baking sheet.
- Roll the donuts while still warm in superfine sugar. Cool.
- Poke small hole in side of each donut with a toothpick or a skewer. Using a pastry bag fitted with small round tip, fill each donut with 1tsp of jam/jelly.